Kevin has finished his chemotherapy regimen at Hollings Cancer Center. He was prepared and ready and has come through with flying colors and a smile on his face – positive and optimistic. David tells us the story of one of the treatments when the administrator left the room to prepare the chemical injections and came back covered in a full protective suit for handling hazardous materials, saying it was one of the most potent cancer drugs available. They told Kevin to prepare for those dreaded side effects of chemo treatments so David was especially concerned that day about his bedside-assistant knowledge to be able to help his best friend. Kevin dozed off and David was afraid to let him go to sleep while they “waited” for the side effects. When David gently woke him, Kevin sat up and asked for a sandwich and crackers. He had his snack and just rolled over and took a nap.
Kevin’s doctors are amazed at his fortitude and determination and people at the Cancer Center marvel at his positive attitude. He’s been very, very tired but continues to look great. We’ve had a memorable Fall and thank goodness our Charleston weather has cooled enough for Kevin to sit by his beloved fire-place inside and his fire-pit outside. It’s one of his favorite hobbies now in addition to watching David work on restoring his "yacht" – a small boat that is beginning to look gorgeous with all the refurbished and new mahogany. They were even able to take the ride of their lives up the Inland Waterway all the way to Georgetown. David hasn’t finished building the new seats so I think they sat on bar stools. We’ve all had some smiles about their trip and they absolutely loved it.
We also got to spend a great weekend together at a home at the beach on Isle of Palms. We can’t discuss the hilarity of the singing (and dancing) performance of Mandy and Kimberly that included their Uncle Kevin (dance prop). It’s just a shame we don’t have it on tape. We had planned meals that included grilling and oysters, a pirate treasure hunt and Suba made us a delicious Orange Creamsicle Cake. And thank you to Sam and Scott for that wild late Saturday night wake up call . And thank you to KB for taking some time out of your busy schedule instead of working on those sports activities so much.
Kevin is so proud and grateful that KB is attending Bishop England High School, his Alma Mater. Even though he coaches from the sidelines now, he enjoyed attending the home football games and of course, stood at the fence at the end zone so he could see the play action better. It was really amazing to be standing there with him and hear him anticipate and then call the play before the team even lined up. KB knows he does that with pro teams too so he is used to his father’s sports expertise. We keep telling Kevin he should write a how-to book but he’s handy at so many subjects, maybe he can’t decide on the theme. He and Becky are deciding who is going to teach KB to drive since his birthday is next week and I think KB has decided it will be Uncle David!
Kevin’s doctor is not going to do additional treatments for now so Kevin, Becky and KB are hoping for a peaceful and calm Holiday Season. Kevin’s type of cancer is very slow growing and that makes for some very stressful anticipation and uncertainty of what’s ahead. But Kevin is very tough and doesn’t have a negative thought. Becky still loves her job at Christ Our King and is so happy to get to be with her work family everyday. KB has settled into his routine at Bishop England and really enjoyed being on the Football Team. He is sticking to that very busy social schedule and has already started Baseball Training. As any family dealing with a disease such as Cancer, they appreciate the little things - all of the loving generosity that has been sent their way – too much to ever acknowledge! Some days are easy and some days are very difficult. The changes of the teen years are hard enough but to have a parent with a dreaded disease really changes everything. We are hoping (most especially for KB’s sake!!!) that we will be able to update this blog more often so that people won’t have to ask “How is your Dad?”, “How is Kevin doing?”
We haven’t decided on our Holiday schedule but I’m sure it will include a bunch of fun, laughing, a great meal and just being together. We will keep you posted so be sure to send them a note.
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I'm so happy you are all at home together. I hope you all enjoy a peaceful Thanksgiving, Christmas and 2010. Becky, I miss seeing you @ COK. Maybe at BE next year. Take care of yourself too. Love, Lynn
Good job MANDY! As one of Kevin's "many fans", please know that we all appreciate the updates. Our prayers continue as we, like you, are amazed at the stamina of this special family. KB, wishing you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY. DRIVING??? Very cool!
Love & prayers,
Linwood & Debra
I'll get you back for that picture you sent me! That was really mean!!!
Love you, SUBA
Thanks so much Mandy and I'll let others know to check the blog for updates. Kevin, "YOU ROCK" but your extended family on you wife's side is a little crazy. I don't know if I would ride in a boat made by David and Mandy, go back to your day job and make me some more chocolate covered marshmellows.
Love you all,
Ellen
Ok everyone, lets get a little more detail on the last chemo performance.I knew Becky was up to something when she just kept thanking me over and over for agreeing to take Kevin to this chemo treatment. Every thing seemed the same as all of our previous trips. Everyone saying hello to Kevin at Hollings Center is the way it starts. Begining with the guys that parks the car. He knows everybody down there and everybody knows him. Of course he is the poster child you know. And he points that out to me everytime we see that poster in front of the main elevator. So all is routine until the entire chemo staff sits in front of us and begins to tell us of all of the unpleasant side effects Kevin is about to experience starting with the loss of his control over his "go to the bathroom functions", including # 1 and # 2 functions. They continued to rattle off things about vomiting, hot flashes, halucinating and on an on. But all I heard was the part about the bathroom stuff. I myself began to have hot flashes and wished Becky was within chocking distance. So, the chemo is enjected and Kevin lays his head back to relax. A few minutes later he wakes from a little nap and says "Oh My Gosh". I said "Oh My Gosh What", all the time having an idea why "My Gosh" was being called upon. I just knew we would be spending the rest of the treatment in the mens room. So Kevin looks right at me and says, man, I'm hungry. Go over there and sneek one of those sanwiches out of the nurses frig. I did, he inhaled it and slept through the rest of the treatment. Kevin does not follow the rules that cancer has established. And in this epesode I am glad he doesn't. I don't know if I will have another opportunity to walk with Kevin into the Hollings Cancer Center, but will hold dear to my heart the times I spent with him "laughing in a place where laughter is scarce. He modivated so many cancer patiences that they thought we were on staff down there. I will continue to make the best out of the good days with my friend and curse the bad days. And for you Miss Becky, "I will get you my pretty."
KUTGF
David
I like it! KUTGF!!
You guys rock! Keep it up!
Post a Comment